Saccisica to visit
Come and visit our fantastic cultural and environmental heritage: Villas, Casoni, Valleys, Churches.
the Benedictine court of Correzzola is located a short distance from the same-named centre. The huge building has been since 1500 operations center for the territory transformation started by the monks of St. Giustina. It was built next to the bank of the Bacchiglione, a perfect location for the communication with Padua and Chioggia. The court was made of several buildings in which lived the people that assured the good governance of the property (artisans, farmers, blacksmiths…). In fact here there were the warehouses, the barns and the workshops to carry out some activities required in order to operate the complicated structure. There were also bread ovens, cellar for the firewater distillation, weaving factory, stables, wells, orchards and gardens. The central part of the building, almost leaned on the banks of the Bacchiglione and with a long covered walk, is closed in the western part by the guesthouse, the monks’ living quarters and by the concealment. South we can see the Vanezza Grande of Correzzola. It was built in 1570 as cowshed and represents a statement divided by fifteen well-positioned arches surrounded by two lateral symmetrical parts. The pilaster strips lighten the support pillars, in honor of the taste from […]
Corte Benedettina di Correzzola
Benedictine court of Correzzola
The Benedictine court is the most important landmark for the community in Legnaro. It’s also the economic, social and cultural centre. It was built in the 400s thanks to the monks of St. Justine of Padua, then grew over the centuries. In early 500s the north-east block was finished with the living quarters for the monks and also the warehouse, both preceded by a porch, and the whole area was surrounded by a wall with columbian tower west. In 1717 the wall was rebuilt and maybe around the mid-century the wings of via Roma and via Orsaretto were extended. History of Benedictine court of Legnaro In 1810, after they deleted religious corporations, the court switched to the state and in 1837 was sold to a jew banker and businessman from Vienna named Ermanno Todesco. In 1841 was built the west block with the stable and the barn, then in 1852 took place the extention of the north block of via Orsaretto with the spinning mill. Ermanno Todesco died in 1844 and ten years later the children sold the property of Legnaro and Polverara of 5737,16 fields to Count Silvestro Camerini. In 1934 the court switched to the same-named agricultural society, […]
Corte Benedettina di legnaro
Benedictine court of Legnaro
Boschettona beach is located north-east the province of Padua, in municipality of Codevigo, inside Millecampi valley. Once this area was unhealthy and was formed because of the floods cause by the clash between the rivers flowing out in the lagoon, and the sea in Chioggia’s area, and then reclaimed. Boschettona beach is the only beach in the province of Padua. Also the Roman occupation contributed to create this territories (before 2000 B.C., when romans colonized the region, until the 10th century). At that time people focused on fishing and sea salt harvest. The traditional dwellings were casoni, reeds and wood constructions, used as shelter for fishermen and hunters. Only in 300 the republic of Venice started to worry about the maintenance of the lagoon threatened by freshwater. Around half 16th century they decided to diverting the rivers, so Brenta, Bacchiglione and other rivers had to flow away from the lagoon. In 1987 the south lagoon of Venice were listed by UNESCO as World Heritage. SPECIAL THANKS TO: Ilenia Battisti Graziano Gastaldi who kindly gave us the pictures of the beach and other details. Nearby Boschettona beach: Millecampi valley Casone delle Sacche Casoni della Fogolana
Spiaggia della Boschettona - Codevigo
An expanse of trees around the corner of Piove di Sacco, all this in an outdoor area of 50.000 m2. Walking paths. Area with a large number of trees and wide lawns.
Bosco di Pianura Piove di Sacco
Bosco di Pianura
Cà di Mezzo oasis was realised by Consorzio bonifica Adige – Bacchiglione to clean waste water with reed beds. Reed beds in Cà di Mezzo Reed beds, which means “water purification through plants”, consists of a biological treatment in which plants purifies thanks to the bacteria on the seaweed. Cà di Mezzo oasis collects water from the Altopiano canal and remove almost half nitrogen, phosphorus and suspended solids before they merge in the lagoon. It’s located in the municipality of Codevigo and it’s around 30 hectares. The restoration of the environment has encouraged the establishment and reproduction of the birdlife, the resettlement and the protection of the migratory and permanent fauna. Here nest great egret, common stilt, cormorant, marsh harrier, Fulica, moorhern, egret, mallard, kingfisher and great crested grebe. Visit Cà di Mezzo oasis Winter schedule: Sunday openings: October 15.oo – 18.30; November 14.30 – 18.00. From Sunday 20th December and in January there won’t be any Sunday opening. Summer schedule: From February to July there will be Sunday opening also in the morning 9.30 – 12.00, while in the afternoon: February 14.00 – 17.00; March 14.30 – 18.00; from April to July 15.00 – 18.30. Reed beds area is […]
Oasi di Ca di mezzo codevigo
Cà di Mezzo oasis
Casone Azzurro (light-blue) of Vallonga (municipality of Arzergrande) today offers a structure suitable to the architectural and practical characteristics of casoni in Saccisica. Venetian casone is a tipical dwelling for venetian peasants. A really similar type of casoni was common also south in the areas of Bologna and Ferrara until the 19th century. But in that case they were simple houses for fishermen who used to work in the nearby swamps. Casone azzurro: tipical architectural structure of casone. The building is often free from basements and, if any, they are very simple made from waste or found on site materials . Usually the floor is compacted earth, but can also be tiled with tiles called “tavele”. The outer walls were the only part of mansory and on these was based the cone-shaped pitched roof. Roof: the distinctive feature of casoni in Saccisica. The roof is definitely the most particular item of casoni in the fields of Saccisica and it’s entirely built with reeds based on beams and tied together. The crawl space should be used as haystack and is connected with the underneath stable through a hatch. Inner walls are made of tickles and poles covered with clay (common practise […]
Casone Azzurro Arzergrande
Casone Azzurro of Arzergrande (Vallonga)
Casone delle Sacche is located in Valle Millecampi in the municipality of Codevigo. The name seems to derive from the fact that this “casone” (called in dialect “Cason delle Sacche”) is built on an inlet that reaches the fields and represents a real post on the south lagoon face the Chioggia area. At that time the “casone” used to be a shelter for the hunters coming quite often from Padua. They used to arrive in the evening, sleep and eat in the “casone” and in the morning, after they saw flocks of birds from the small tower, the keeper used to drive them hunting. Since hunting and fishing were private, the hunters used to sign a deal with the administration so they could hunt on payment but always accompanied by the keeper which could check that they didn’t cross the borders with the fields, where hunting was forbidden. Concerning the fishing, illegal fishermen were common mainly from Sottomarina and Chioggia. Casone delle Sacche today The decadence of the casoni in the valley had been proceeded with the decadence of the valley as well, abandoned and forgotten also by the local inhabitants. So was felt the need of a recovery of […]
cason delle sacche codevigo
Casone delle Sacche
Casone Ramei, also called Casone Bianco (“white Casone”), was built at the end of 19th century by Zecchin family, who lived there until 1979. Later, Piove di Sacco’s council bought the “casone” to restore it during ’80s. The interior, including original objects and forniture, were partly bought by the city administration and partly donated to the population. The architectural features are a tipical of the venetian “casone”, a common building in the Saccisica’s area. Today the Casone di Via Ramei hosts the folk culture and rural civilization museum and consist of two buildings: the main one is the ancient two-storey log house (whose hub is the kitchen with the tipical fireplace “la cavarzerana”) to which a new body of the building were joined to host the extended family, with a maximum of twelve people. Once the second building used to host the cellars and the tool shed, while the small attic was used to be a barn. The casone is surrounded by a significant park. Casone Ramei today Nowadays Casone Ramei is managed by the “Gruppo del Cason” association of Piove di Sacco, born in 1996 and made of ten volunteers, who helped to reopen the place and also encourage […]
Via Ramei Piove di Sacco
Casone of Via Ramei (Casone Bianco of via Ramei)
Casone Rosso is located in Corte, one of the hamlet of Piove di Sacco, in via Fiumicello. It was built in 1800s and a family lived there until the beginning of 1990s. Since 1993,after a careful renovation, it has been opened only for tours, because of a fire that took place in the same year. This rebuilding was made very carefully considering the original characteristic of the structure, observing the peculiar features of the original style and of the materials used. The moderately sized residence owns the tipical thatched roof and the outdoor plaster made with red clay after the last renovation in 1998, even tought the original one was pink, for this reason it is now called Casone Rosso (“Red Casone”). The original spaces of the casone, before the renovation, were just four: the kitchen, the storage room and two bedrooms, as it used to be at that time. In 1975 they decided to expand the casone adding new rooms. To keep the spaces warm during the winter and cool in the summer, the windows were quite small. The casone is surrounded by a particular garden, in which they placed some benches and other tipical rural and country life […]
Via Fiumicello Piove di Sacco
Casone Rosso in Via Fiumicello (ex “Casone Rosa”)
in Valle Millecampi, located in Codevigo’s municipality, in Fogolana area, we found four recently-build casoni in every way similar to the tipical casoni of the Saccisica’s area. These buildings, called Casoni della Fogolana, consist of four unit in different size able to offer different services. 1st. unit: clubhouse and meeting room with a big central chimney powered by bioethanol. 2nd. unit: three secondary units used as B&B. Location of the Casoni The complex is surrounded by the green contryside and allows a fast access on foot, by bicycle or by car to the main nearby points of interest, including Casone delle Sacche, Valle Millecampi and Spiaggia della Boschettona. The Fogolana’s area, adjacent the valley, represent the only landlocked in province of Padua and an important area from the environmental and natural perspective. Particularly interesting is the roof structure, a faithful aesthetic and practical reproduction of the real Saccisica’s casoni. The roof is entirely made with common reed and performs the function of air handing inside the reed itself, helping the temperature and humidity equilibrium inside the casone. The outdoor area offers a small reed beds zone. Events in Casoni della Fogolana Casoni della Fogolana historically host the “Chronicae” and the […]
Casoni della Fogolana codevigo
Casoni della Fogolana
Castelcaro village was born during 1400s thanks to some fortress built by the Carraresi. The town hosts the noble same-named church which is still used. The little church is open the last Sunday of each month and gives the possibily to take part of the masses.
Chiesa di Castelcaro
The church devoted to the “Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin” is arcipretale church of the community in Arzergrande. Cardinal Carlo Rezzonico consecrated it on 3rd May 1753 with the name of Santa Maria in Ara Caeli.
Church of Annunciazione della Beata Vergine Maria
The village of Castelcaro was born during 1400s thanks to some fortress built by the Carraresi. The town hosts the noble same-named church which is still used. The little church is open the last Sunday of each month and gives the possibily to take part of the masses.
Borgo di Castelcaro Codevigo
Church of Castelcaro
In Celeseo thanks to Cartari family, was built in the 17th century an oratory devoted to Saint Marco and to Our Lady of Health. Since 1934 a priest has lived there. In 1942 starded the construction of the current church in Romanic style and with a single aisle, opened in 1947. The church is devoted to Our Lady of Health and Celeseo became parish in 1950.
Via San Marco 82, S.angelo di piove di sacco
Church of Madonna della Salute – Celeseo
On 2 August 2004, after a renovation of more than one year, took place with a solemn ceremony in the presence of religious and civil authorities the reopening of the little church of Saint Mary of the Assumption called “delle Muneghette”. This place has always been a meeting point for the popular devotion of our town which is particularly loyal to the Marian cult. Every year on 15th August it renews the faith for the feast of the Assumption of the Virgin. Even nowadays the venerable popular tradition remembers when the wooden statue of Madonna with Child disappeared and then reappered near the church from the pit in which it had been thrown. The building, which is probably part of an ancient bigger complex is what’s left of an old female Benedictine convent mentioned in documents since the 13th century. During the following centuries it had been extended and enhanced thanks to the presence of nuns belonging to noble families and in 1520 it joined the St. Anne of Padua’s Benedictine convent. In late 18th century most of the lands (which now includes just the little church) switched to venetian Morosini family and then in early 1900s to the Bauce […]
Saonara Chiesa delle Muneghette
Church of Muneghette
Coming out of the city centre, on the way to Arzerello, near Piove di Sacco’s Civil Hospital, stands the churc of St. Justine (St. Rocco). The altarpiece that belongs to the Veronese’s school, shows the St. Justine’s sacrifice while the recently restored fresco made by Varotari illustrates a Deposition; there is also a chapel devoted to St. Philip Neri.
Via San Rocco Piove di Sacco
Church of S. Giustina (or San Rocco)
According to a document dated 1188, in Pontelongo on the right bank of the Bacchiglione, there was an Ecclesia that the anti-pope Clement III used to “donate” to the Cluniac monastery in Candiana. Anyway for several centuries it remained “chapel” of the S. Agostino parish church in Bovolenta. Just at the end of 1500s the parish of S. Andrea heritage joined the Candiana’s convent. At that time the parishioners were almost 1400 (without counting those “on the other side of the bridge”). After the plagues that took place in the following century, the population decreased by 30%, reaching slightly more than 1000 people. In late 1700s around 13 people were involved in spiritual duties in the three churces (S. Andrea, S. Giovanni, St. Maria Maddalena, in Ronchi di Ca’ Trevisan) and in the two oratories. According to the pastoral visitation in 1823, the church was widened more than a third. The territory was strongly marked in 1882 by a flood (also the church of Ronchi was pulled down). In early 1900s they decided to build a new church which was blessed in 1911 together with the bell tower and the rectory. This new churc was built perpendicular to the Bacchiglione, […]
Pontelongo Via Giuseppe Mazzini
Church of S.Andrea
Legnaro’s church was buil between 1779 and 1786 to a design by the architect Giorgio Massari, blessed on 25th July 1786 and opened in 1803 even thought the works for the facade continued until 1821. In 1907 the church was consacrated and then in 1917 it became Arcipretale. In 1822 the big ionic style aisle was completely furnished with seven altars: the high altar with marble tabernacle surmounted by a pala named “Christ, the apostles and an adoring crowd”; St. Blaise, Charles Borromeo and Jerome’s altar, and Our Lady of Sorrows’ altar. Particularly important are the three 17th century paintings: “dispute in the temple with Jesus”, “dispute with St. Stephen” and “martyrdom of St. Lawrence”. In 1920 the transfer of “Our Lady with Child” (made by Jacopo Bellini) to the “Gallerie dell’Accademia” was approved. On 9th November 1973 they decided for security reasons to entrust to the diocesan curia of Padua the wood by Palma Il Vecchio, “St. Justine” and other important works such as “Holy Family” by Fontebasso; “Jesus goes on the Calvary”; a wooden crucifix, missals, reliquaries an liturgical books. In 1889 using the materials from a previous “Pugina” organo, they made a new one.
Chiesa di San Biagio Legnaro
Church of San Biagio
The church of Vigorovea was built in 1326 following the testamentary will of the paduan Jacopo de Zacchis. It was remodeled over the centuries and then in 1605 restored. The current church, devoted to St. James and in neoclassical style, in 1804 has arisen from scratch in there instead of the previous one and it was opened in 1817. the elegant facade dates back in 1873-75, and it is decorated with pink marble panels depicting “Jesus among the child”. The 18th-century main altar, made with white marble from Carrara, is the work of Alvise Tagliapietra, one of the best sculptor of that time. Once the 15th-century “Our Lady with Child” belonged to the oratory of Vigorovea and it stayed there until 1908, nowadays it is located in Padua in the St. Nicholas’ church. The bell tower was erected in 1793.
Via Piovese, 2, 35020 Sant'Angelo di Piove di Sacco PD
Church of San Giacomo – Vigorovea
The arcipretale of St. Michael is parish church from the 12th century and was enlarged several times until the current forms of neo-ionian style of the 1700s with the wide “sagrado” already cemetery. It guards several masterpieces such as the pala of St. Michael by G.B. Canal (1798), the St. Matthew one of the Veronese school, different wooden bas-riliefs from the Danieletti’s workshop and the statues by Bonazza which decorates baptistery, altars and facade. the archangel statue guarded in the public library is attributedTo A. Bonazza too.
Chiesa di San Michele Apostolo - Sant'Angelo di Piove di Sacco
Church of San Michele Apostolo
St. Nicholas church – Giotto’s school – shows its glory and essentiality just outside the center of Piove di Sacco. The unique selection of the materials and the crudeness of the rock is justified by the history of the foundation of St. Nicholas’ church at the hands of boatmen and fishermen (St. Nicola is the protector of those who go by sea) from Piove di Sacco, after their previous church (the current St. Mary of penitents) switched to the employ of Duomo. Chiesa di San Nicolò – an ancient presence According to a headstone dated 1899, St. Nicholas’ church existed already in 1165 (Constat Existere ab ano 1165). The outside occurs in stones, except for the facade which is plastered and finished in marmorino with columns and tympanum, and can be dated to 16th century. The interior was brought back to the medieval appearance by the restoration during 1500s-1600s and has a map in sala ending in a semicircular apse and gable roof. Structure of Chiesa di San Nicolò We are dealing with an extremely linear structure decorated with frescoes and in some parts with several pictorial overlapped layers, of which has been mainly preserved the portion that decorates the […]
Via Co' del Panico Piove di Sacco
Church of San Nicolò
18th-century church of St. Peter in Vallonga, now restored
Chiesa di San Pietro Vallonga
Church of San Pietro in Vallonga
St. Zaccaria church, in Codevigo municipality, was first mentioned in 1173 and at that time it belonged to the Piove di Sacco parish church. It was the architect Falconetto, friend of Alvise Cornaro, who designed the lines of the recently restored 16th-century building. In the early decades of the present century the bell tower was renovated. In particular the soaring spire was replaced by the current big unnamed tower to which they added the figure of Redentore. Nearby Chiesa di San Zaccaria: points of interest near St. Zaccaria church in Codevigo (within 1-km) parkings near St. Zaccaria church in Codevigo all the churches near St. Zaccaria church
Chiesa di San Zaccaria Codevigo
Church of San Zaccaria
The little church of Santa Maria delle Righe also called “chiesetta di Righe” is located in Corte. It dates back to 823 and it is characterized by one single aisle and a coverage with a hut. The facade has a simple portal topped with a rose window and a end-800 trianguar bell tower. Thanks to the constructive and architectural arrangement, and the stones and clay materials used to build the outer walls we can understand how old is the building. Currently the church is part of the parish of Corte after Carlotta Friso donated it in 1964. The last restoration took place in 1978 but it involved only the roof. An extensive renovation was completed in 2000. The church is place of devotion: even nowadays each year on 24th September local people remember the “vow of Righe” with a procession to thank The Virgin for freeing the local inhabitants in 1839 after a cholera epidemic that had raged since 1836.
Via Righe Piove di Sacco
Church of Santa Maria delle Righe (Chiesetta di Righe)
The church of St. Paterniano in Tognana is documented since 1221 and is part of Piove di Sacco parish of St. Martin. It is described in the report of the pastoral visitation made by bishop Barozzi (1489) with an almost square plant (9×8 meters) and only one altar. Then two new altars were built and this is how in 1571 bishop Ormaneto saw the church. A renovation was made after the flood in 1882, even thought the building had needed one since 1774. Chiesa di San Paterniano in 900s After that year a lot of renovations took place: in 1914 they rebuilt the chorus and extended the aisle. Few years later everything left was demolished but the chorus was kept to build three new central aisles in romanic and byzantine style. In 1938 the floor was covered with marble and the following year the chorus was elevated to adapt it to the building. In 1952 works ended with the bell tower and in 1970 the new main altar was consacrated. The outside is in visible bricks and a little porch precedes and protecs the inside. Inside of Chiesa di San Paterniano The inside has three aisle divided by thin and […]
Via San Paterniano - Piove di Sacco
Church of Tognana
Contarini Zorzi palace is located in Piove di Sacco, in via Cavour (called “via larga” in the 19th century and earlier “contrà di san Francesco”). The building borders with Contarini – Gallo palace and consists of a main structure facing the road and two outbuildings connected to the main body into an L-shape. Napoleonic land register demonstrate the presence of the noble family Contarini, owner of the main house with garden since 16th century (in 1593 it was called “casa da hortolan”), but probably it was built earlier. According to some documents the building was also country house of venetian doges. Contarini Zorzi palace: the architecture In the two-story building, dated maybe 18th century, there is a mezzanine above street level by a plinth, the main entrance reached by climbing 5 wide stone steps. The most interesting part is definitely the ground floor, in which are situated four wide portals crowned by ashlar. Since it’s located in Piove di Sacco’s city centre, the palace is the ideal place for unforgettable receptions, thanks to the activity of the same-named association. Particularly interesting is the square , where every year takes place the historical re-enactment “San Martino a cavallo”. Three 18th-century rooms […]
Cortile San Martino Piove di Sacco
Contarini Zorzi palace in Piove di Sacco
Dome of Piove di Sacco (Dome of St. Martin) is located in the inner city of Piove di Sacco. The arcipretale church has changed a lot since 1400s, until the radical renewal during the last century. This renovation was designed by the architect Francesco Gasparini who extended the building and inverted the orientation by expanding it with two aisles and by giving more verticality. The works started in 1893, in 1903 ended the walls and in 1908 the main door. In the meantime, on 9th may 1901 Pope Leone XIII named it abbey. Dome of Piove di Sacco and St. Martin from Tours St. Martin is depicted in the dome, dedicated to the bishop of Tours, in a picture by Giovanni Pietro Silvio in the presbytery. The Saint is portrayed sat in throne between the apostles Pietro and Paolo. The altarpiece recalls the 15th-century plan of the holy conversation: The characters are assembled inside an architecture with an open view, of which we can see the columns. On the right side we can admire the beautiful altarpiece in which stand out the red dress and the blue cloak of the Virgin. This altarpiece shows Our Lady of Carmel with baby […]
Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II Piove di Sacco
Dome of Piove di Sacco – Dome of St. Martin
The building named “ex casa del fascio” was designed by the architect Quirino De Giorgio (1907-1998) in 1938 during fascist period. The construction is located in Pontelongo on the way to Villa del Bosco. De Giorgio fused a strong building tradition, with materials like bricks and wood, and new technology, in particular the use of rainforced concrete. It is in this area that we can realize the value of the architect. Casa del Fascio over the years The building had several use. In wartime it was home and shelter for soldiers, then for the nearby sugar refinery and more recently has been factory of wooden boxes. During this period took place the fire of the former cinema and because of that the original grooves burnt and you can still see the marks. This architect was quickly forgotten because of his “political” opinions. During 30s he could build several buildings, often with use that express the needs for arrangement, but today still very useful as well as artistically and architecturally important. Since they had more than 50 years and are mostly under public ownership, these buildings are binding. Already related to the futurist movement in early 30s, he made several works […]
495 Via Villa del Bosco Pontelongo
Former Casa del Fascio
GeSTA museum (Guerra e Saccisica Testimonianze Avvenimenti) was opened in April 2014. The museum aim to promote the local search of Saccisica’s area. First the gallery focused on the human influence with the war, in particular the Great War. The characters are the soldiers. They start with a general description of the uniforms, weapons, chow, command structure and playing field. Then they concentrate on Saccisica’s soldiers presenting the places that men left to go to the front and last, the list of names of the fallen. Both the collection of graphical material and the research of fallen is still ongoing. The latter, in particular propted several questions. The number of fallen in this area is grater in percentage terms than in province of Padua. Also the relation between population and fallen is higher than the venetian average. This is something else into which research should be done. Future goals of GeSTA museum The further steps provide for a study on the territory before and after the battle of Caporetto, when Saccisica became back line and there was a powerful presence of the army that influenced the land and the administration of the municipalities. Particularly relevant will be a depth on […]
GeSTA museum in Pontelongo
On the corner between via Roma and via Donatori di Sangue we found an interesting gothic building with a faint oriental style, probably built during the 1700s. With his red plaster, which is a quaint contrast with the green windows, offers a plunge into venetian splendours. The elegance of the windows remembers the charm of the Orient with which the Serenissima was in contact. It was built by some venetian nobleman, who liked to stay there; it stands out for his romanesque-gothic style which makes it so special. Nowadays it is involved in commercial and residential functions.
Via Roma, Sant'Angelo di Piove di Sacco
Gradenigo palace, often called “villa Gradenigo”, is part of the same-named complex and is one of the most important villas in Piove di Sacco, few steps from the city centre. The first document about this building is dated 1581: at that time, around half 17th century, exited an house addressed to Gradenigo family. Between 1661 and 1675 the villa was rebuilt and an oratory devoted to St. Francis of Sales joined the property. During this period the building took the current form. Around 1788 took place the first renovation of the facade and the oratory, and the establishment of the lateral barn. Gradenigo family lived in Piove di Sacco during 1700, animating the place with parties and concerts together with other venetian noble families. In 1800 because of the Napoleonic and then austrian invasion, the palace was constantly plundered. In this century, during First World War, it became military hospital and in World War II offered accomodation to several refugees and poor families from piovese. Society for saving Gradenigo palace For many years the association “Amici del Gradenigo” in Piove di Sacco has tryed to save the uninhabited palace with the support of local people. Gradenigo palace: nearby points of […]
Palazzo Gradenigo Piove di Sacco
The museum hosts a collection resulting from a over 20-year research with pieces dated between 17th century and 1970, not only from Italy, but also from many other country especially France, England and USA. Captions and texts explain all pieces and their romantic stories. You can see all of this inside the button’s museum with the guide of the editor. She will explain you stylistic and historical features to deepen this minor decorative art. Thanks to its cultural value, the gallery has the possibility to be part of the historic, sociological and artistic heritage in museums in province of Padua and municipality of Sant’Angelo di Piove di Sacco. Open to the public on appointment – tel. +39 349 2692051, it’s dedicated to the founder’s missing son, Sandro Partesotti, Italian teacher, antique dealer and not forgotten for his keen intelligence and kindness. Next to the button’s collection you can also find some original creations made of buttons by the editor, like accessories, tapestries and a collection of glass and ceramics dated to the 800s-900s
Museo del Bottone Sandro Partesotti
Historical button’s museum “Sandro Partesotti”
Jappelli palace, the current municipal seat, was built between 1821 and 1823 on a design by the architect Giuseppe Jappelli (Venice 1783-1852) in the place of the previous public palace (of Carrara origin). Once the building hosted not only the prefecture, the registryand and the guardhouse, but also almost ten shops, some warehouses and jails. In Austrian land register is described as “semi-detached civil house with workshops; semi-detached civil house at first floor, second floor municipal deputation offices”. Jappelli palace – the current role Current the building is completely occupied by public offices. In the flowerbed in front of the palace, there is a flag-pole in Istrian stone; on it you can still read the date (1591), Piove di Sacco’s emblem with San Martino and major Pandolfo Malatesta’s emblem. The main facade is marked with windows and ground-floor arches’ holes. The elegant lobby has an open hall with columns that match the rhythm of the facade. By climbing the stairs you can reach the noble floor where there are social rooms: The room of the magnificent community or council room, pomegranates room and office of the secretary-general. In council room you can admire a wood 14th-century crucifix found in the […]
Piazza incoronata Piove di Sacco
Jappelli palace / council of Piove di Sacco
Maritan house is a noble dwelling dated back to the 17th century. The building belongs t the municipality of Sant’Angelo di Piove di Sacco.
Via San Marco, 62, 35020 Sant'Angelo
It was one of the residence of Alvise Cornaro in the territory of Codevigo, maybe the one where he stayed during his first visit. In one of the maps by Nicolò Da Cortivo, dated back to 1563, is mentioned as “house of coner” surrounded by casoni with thatched roof. It has gable facade crowned by battlements and behind is extended the gabled roof. Nowadays the building hosts a restaurant. It is located in the village of Cambroso.
Palazzo Merli Codevigo
Millecampi valley (Valle Millecampi) belongs to the province of Padua and extends for 1608 hectars in Codevigo’s municipality. It borders west with Morosina and Ghebo Storto valley, east with Sette Morti and others valley. The valley is destination for those keen on ecoturism, nordic walking and cycling. Shape of the valley: Millecampi valley consists of a main lake that reaches mainland and “velme”, mud flats that arise only with low tide. Sandbanks are tipical feature of the valley. These are low flat islands, swamped by water with high tide or dry for a long time with low tide. Sandbanks are route to several canals called “ghebi”. Thanks to the particular conformation and location of the valley, and a combination of fresh and salt water, there’s a particular fauna and tipical valley species can be found easily. This area of the south lagoon has always been exploited by men to benefit from the natural migration of mature fish. This phenomenon increased fishing industry, in particular in Chioggia area. Places to visit: Inside the valley there’s the only beach in province of Padua, Boschettona beach, destination for those keen on kite surfing. Particularly interesting are Casoni della Fogolana, which own all features […]
The municipality of Brugine is located about 17 km south of Padua on the way to Piove di Sacco (with which borders on the east). It is situaded in a fertile area full of fields, despite having just two rivers (except the Bacchiglione that runs south): the Fiumicello and the Schilla. The municipality of Brugine borders as well as with Piove di Sacco, also with other five municipality, all memebers of the province of Padua. North with Legnaro and Sant’Angelo di Piove di Sacco, west and south-west with Bovolenta and Polverara and south with Pontelongo. link to the official municipality of Brugine website
Municipality of Brugine
Municipality of Correzzola – documented as Corrizola and Corigiola – is short for the latin word “corrigia” (strip of leather) that by extension becomes “strip of land that springs up in marshland”. The municipality includes the villages and the localities of: Brenta d’Abbà, Civè, Concadalbero, Villa del Bosco. Further information about the municipal area can be found on the official website.
Via Melzi Correzzola
Municipality of Correzzola
Pontelongo is an italian municipality in the province of Padua and borders with other three township of Saccisica: town of Arzergrande town of Bovolenta town of Brugine town of Candiana town of Codevigo town of Correzzola town of Piove di Sacco It is located 5 meters above sea level and has the below map coordinates 45° 14′ 53” North, 12° 1′ 33” East. Nowadays Pontelongo is a municipality with less than 4 thousand inhabitants, placed 25 km from Padua in a crossroad of communication and traffic: of the line connecting Saccisica and Polesine (Cavarzere and Adria) and by river from Padua to the venetian lagoon (from east to west). It is a town of 10,81 km2, across the Bacchiglione river. Thanks to the river, during the centuries Pontelongo found the reasons, the terms, the conditioning, the bonds and the limits of its mission. As for the surrounding area it’s about lowlands flooded by swamps and marshes, crossed by rivers and for this reason catastrophic flood-prone. The connection between lands, population and water is a bit troubled, conflicted and marked by actions in order to redeem, tame, stem and to use as economic and commercial resource. It is yet to write […]
Via Roma 271 Pontelongo (PD)
Municipality of Pontelongo
The reclamation of the venetian inland has always been quite difficult. The dewatering pump of Santa Margherita in Codevigo, known as pumping station of santa Margherita was built at the end of the 19th century and today still works. It is an example of an engineering work able to influence on the planning of the land. The pump was first equipped with a blow steam-driven wheel. The dewatering pump was boosted in early 900s: first with two centrifugal pumps with gas engine, then with two more pumps with diesel engine. Currently the pump is able to lift 13.500 liters per second. In the rooms of the ancient kilns, where they used to put the fuel to power the engine, there is now a documentation centre with a documentary archive and photo library with several historical films about the reclamation. The museum hosts also a scale model of the blow wheel and represents a starting point to discover the territory, on the way to natural and recreation areas such as Ca’ di Mezzo and Millecampi valley. Events in pumping station of Santa Margherita The dewatering pump hosts historically “Chronicae” and “Scene di Paglia” festival. Pumping station of Santa Margherita, see also: […]
Museo dell'idrovora - Santa Margherita Codevigo
Museum of dewatering pump in Santa Margherita
The 18th-century oratory, known as “Chiesetta di Sant’Anna” has been recently restored. The interior has just one marble altar with a canvas by Dall’Olio portraying “the education of The Virgin”, which, according to Paolo Tieto, is inspired by the similar painting stored in Venice, in S. Maria della Fava by Giovan Battista Tiepolo. In the church are conserved some relics, including those of St. Anne.
Via Davila Piove di Sacco
Oratory of Sant’Anna
Church of San Francesco in Piove di Sacco seems to date between 1225 and 1250, when St. Francis preached in the area of Padua. In that church was created the fraternity of “SS. Crocifisso” and became so large that they decided to built at the church their new headquarter. Around 1570 it was built next to St. Francis a church to which later was added an oratory. The convent and the first church were abolished in 1769 by the Serenissima and destroyed in 1853. Only the 15th-century school with the oratory stayed up and in memory of the previous buildings it’s called Church of St. Francis. The facade is very simple and with the three tympanums reflects the interior layout with three aisle. Inside, the roof of the aisle is composed by 44 wood panels. The recent renovation of the church started also the refurbishment of the artworks inside of it. The most important works were the recovery of the wood ceiling with painted coffered and later, the recovery of two important unknown “taleri” hung from the ceiling. Church of San Francesco, nearby: points of interest near Church of San Francesco (within 0.5-km) parkings near Church of San Francesco other […]
Via Ansedisio Piove di Sacco
Oratory of SS. Crocefisso (Church of San Francesco)
The oratory of Our Lady of the Rosary is simply known as “Chiesetta degli Arzerini”. A local landowner, Mr. Franchin wanted to give a place of worship to the inhabitants of Arzerini and so he built the chapel. In this 17th-century oratory, perfectly preserved, Mass is celebrated and there are yearly celebrations in onour of Our Lady of the Rosary.
via arzerini brugine
Oratory of the Beata Vergine del Rosario – La Chiesetta di Arzerini
“Paradiso” museum based in dome of Piove di Sacco exhibits attractive pieces like the altar-piece of St. Francis of Paola by Giambattista Tiepolo. There are also valuable reliquaries, the fresco of Dormitio Virginis and the structure with the precession of the blessed sacrament by Andrea Michieli, called “Il Vicentino” (Vicenza 1542 – Venice 1618). Here are exposed also several altar-pieces, furnishings and holy vessels. All this inside a museum itinerary from the Dome through the 19th-century sacristy and the “Paradiso” (which gives the name to the museum and used to be meeting point for children and place for reunions), until the oratory (chiesuola) born on the basements of the Church of St. Mary of penitents. It’s a dynamic museum that will provide an expansion of the exhibitions spaces. Paradiso museum: strongly desired by Saccisica. It was strongly desired by the parish of Piove di Sacco’s Dome and the parish unit. Diocesan museum of Padua designed the project that represents a kind of completion of the territory and together with other art-historical sites forms an “ecclesiastic diffused museum”. The project has the support of Padua and was sponsored by: Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Padova e Rovigo, Veneto Region, municipality of […]
Museo Paradiso Duomo di Piove di Sacco
Paradiso museum of Dome of Piove di Sacco
The park of Via Marconi is located in the centre of Piove di Sacco and it’s designed for babies and mothers. It includes playground and a ring for skating .
Via Marconi Piove di Sacco
Park of via Marconi in Piove di Sacco
Walking from via Roma, at the crossroad with via Cardano, on the way to the Town Hall (Jappelli palace) you can see a restored building, that’s the municipal theatre: The Philharmonic Theatre of Piove di sacco. It’s a pink charming building decorated with stucco and tender stone and marble mirrored. In 1861 a society named “del teatro filarmonico” was born to erect a theatre room. The next year started the works and the design was entrusted to the engineer Giuliano Facchinetti, while the facade is attributed to Giovanni Battisti Tessari (first teacher of the “pratic design school for artisans” born in Piove di Sacco in 1852). The appearence of the current building is very similar to the original one, built in 1860. Inside the Philharmonic Theatre of Piove di Sacco The warm interior has an amazing ceiling decorated by Giuseppe Ponga (1892) showing a sky welcoming muse of music and some cherubs with signs saying the names of famous composers such as Verdi, Rossini and Puccini. Over the proscenium a stucco enclosed the portray of the first major of italian Piove: Enrico Breda. The original one was made by Oreste da Molin but unfortunately missed. It was switched with a […]
Via Cardano Piove di Sacco
Philharmonic Theatre in Piove di Sacco
Priuli Ballan palace is located just outside the centre of Piove di Sacco, on the way to Arzerello. It was first documented in 1518 in a cadastres reporting, in which Alvise Priuli is mentioned as owner of a two-story building (as well as the ground floor). Priuli palace: the building The housing development consists of a main body, two lateral barns, an oratory, a garden and remains of a front exedra. The main building is quadrangular and develops on three floors. The structure is the tipical venetian villas one, composed of an open hall where there are simmetric doors and a monumental staircase which takes to the noble floor. In front of the palace, along the public road there are the remains of the exedra that used to be part of the building, but now is just a niche with a statue of Ercole. Now this piece isn’t as decorated as it used to be and seems detached from the garden behind the villa which whatever still has six statues on original stands. These statues, coupled by twos, represented the access to the three avenues that drove to the italian garden. The two lateral barns seem two wings indipendent from […]
Palazzo Priuli Piove di Sacco
Priuli Ballan palace
The pumping station of Fogolana, as the name says, is located in the Valle Millecampi halfway between the area of the Spiaggia della Boschettona and the Cason delle Sacche.
Via Corte Fogolana
Pumping station of Fogolana (dewatering pump of Fogolana)
Chiesa campestre dell’assunta di Volparo, dated 1333. The interior hosts frescoes portraying the Madonna with Child and other Saints. These frescoes were restored by initiative of the local inhabitants. Nearby Chiesa di Volparo: points of interest near Volparo’s Church (within 0,5-km) parkings near Volparo’s Church
Via Volparo Legnaro
Rural Church of assunta in Volparo
The sanctuary of Christ is located in the village of Arzerello, in Piove di Sacco municipality. History of Sancuary of Christ in Arzerello: They say that a farmer had to stop there because his animals didn’t move. The man called the entire village, including the priest, and started to dig where the animals had stopped. Everybody were amazed, by digging they found a wooden box with a perfectly preserved wooden statue of Christ. Then was built the “beginning” of the sanctuary. But nobody still knew from where did the statue come out. First they thought that it had been buried in 10th century to protect it from the Hungarian invasions, but the masterpiece is dated later, in 15th century. Then a plausible theory was proposed: during Cambrai war, since the area used to be robbed, loyals hid the statue that was first guarded in Church of Madonna della Divinità, but then maybe died and weren’t be able to recover it anymore. The work is now exposed in the box in where it was discovered and inspires a strong emotional charge. Jesus is painted when Pilato introduces him to the crowd as “Man of Pain”. His pallid body is touched by […]
Via Cristo Arzerello Piove di Sacco
Sanctuary of Christ in Arzerello
Sanctuary Madonna delle Grazie, also called Sanctuary delle Grazie is historically, architecturally, religiously and culturally important for all Saccisica and is located near Piove di Sacco’s city centre. The outside come in various forms: apse, lateral walls and bell tower are tiled and with suspended medieval arches. The cloister hosts the indoor garden and is the only left part of the convent. Sanctuary Madonna delle Grazie is full of legends The origin of this building is connected to a miracle. Two brothers of Sanguinazzi’s family were splitting the heritage of the dead parents but they couldn’t find a deal about the canvas of Madonna with Child (then attributed to the venetian Giovanni Bellini dated around 1478) and they actually challenged to a fight. That duel never took place. A few-months old child in the arms of the mother talked to them and said “please stop in the name of God” and claiming to be the Virgin Mary. The two brothers decided to take the canvas to a Church near Piove di Sacco. Thanks to this masterpiece happened several miracles and for this reason they built a convent approved by pope Innocenzo VIII, and the Church devoted to the Virgin. The […]
Santuario Madonna delle grazie - Piove di Sacco
Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie
The cavane (cavàne) are shelters for boats tipical of Venice, its lagoon and all the navigable rivers. Maybe the word has the same origin of hut (capanna): in fact in the oldest pictures of the city, the cavane are depicted as shelter covered with straw, like huts. Over the years this type of shelter has been used also for buildings like noble palaces or warehouses. On the side overlooking there is a river and in some cases it is protected by a wood or metal closing. In the terminology of the gondoliers and the taxi drivers the expression “andar in cavana” means the rest of the boat and so the end of the activity. The operation typically consists of berth in a private area, cover the ship with protective towel and close the access (and the passenger compartment in case of water taxi). Cavàne in Codevigo and in Millecampi Valley The plenty of canals and boats in valley Millecampi necessitated building shelters suitable to keep vessels undamaged from bad weather. For this reason the cavane are easliy viewable along the banks in Fogolana area in Codevigo. (text taken from Wikipedia and adapted)
Via Corte Fogolana Codevigo
The cavàne in Valley Millecampi
Tower Carrarese is considered by the inhabitants of Piove di Sacco as a city symbol and currently is the bell tower near the dome. The tower is located in square St. Maria dei penitenti, in front of the same-named church and it’s possible to visit it during the main cultural events and the market of the porches. In these occasions you can rise the top of the bell tower and admire the view of the city centre and the nearby areas. The tower was originally the castle keep and was built by Francesco da Carrara around 1360 together with other three unit (Tower Rossi, Tower Panico and Tower Carrarese). After the destructions in 1800, the latter were destroyed and the name “Carrarese” switched to the old one. Definitely interesting is the clockwork, which resists since 1907, albeit flanked by modern system. Tower Carrarese is very close to the little church (St. Mary of penitents) and so to the new museum “paradiso”.
Piove di Sacco Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II
Valeri Pinato palce is located in via Garibaldi in Piove di Sacco and is Diego Valeri’s birthplace, illustrious citizen, teacher at Padua university, writer and poet. According to the tripartite model, the building is dated to the 16th century and until early 90s it was place of “Albert Einstein” scientific lyceum. In order to adapt it to the scholastic role, the palace have always been modified, even the original structure was changed. Valeri Pinato palace – The history In a drawing dated 1726 first appeared the two-story building with a noble floor over the porch in groundfloor. While a floor plan dated 1816 and found to the State Archive of Padua, shows the property used as workshops and warehouses on groundfloor with a stair to link the upper floors, and on the other side there was the stable. The barn, beyond the court, has been property of Pinato Giammaria and Simonetti Caterina at least since 1829. Furthermore in another floor plan dated 1816 it’s written “Plant of some workshops, warehouses, barn and other in front of Pinato’s noble palace in Piove di Sacco”. So maybe Giovanni Pinato lived in the building across the street, the current Corazza palace. When Giammaria […]
Via Garibaldi Piove di Sacco
Valeri Pinato palace in Piove di Sacco
Villa Foscariini Erizzo is the main building in Pontelongo, thanks to its historical-artistic importance and to its role as town hall. First it was the summer house of the venetian family Foscarini da San Stae and probably was built during the second half of the 16th century. As every venetian patrician’s villa, it was composed of a main building, two lateral barns, a brolo and a little garden. Over the years the garden has been expanded and during 700s it became quite wide. Doge and historian Marco Foscarini died in 1763 in this building. He has been one of the most important politically and culturally people during this century. Then his secretary, writer and poet, Gasparro Gozzi, lived there for several years. Later the villa became property of Andrea Erizzo, who changed a bit the architecture. Then belonged to the Serravalle and in 1876 the municipality of Pontelongo bought it. In the meantime the garden had been destroyed and the statues were transferred at the entrance of the new forum boarium.
Via Roma Pontelongo
Villa Foscarini Erizzo
Villa Roberti in Brugine is definitely one of the most beautiful renaissance villas in Padua area. It owns one fresco cycle by Giambattista Zelotti and works by Paolo Veronese; moreover it’s distinguished for his unique floor plan. In 1544 the design was entrusted to the architect Andrea Da Valle by Girolamo De Roberti (works ended in 1553). He built the villa on the remains of Maccaruffo’s castle, of which still remain the 14th-century tower (with frescoes of Carrarese’s emblem) and the pit in front of the barn. The outdoor decor shows roman history and mythological aspects. Unfortunately it was mainly lost, while the inside in the bright noble living room there’s still a fresco cycle on mythological themes dated to half 16th century by Giambattista Zelotti and Antonio Fasolo. Paolo Veronese worked on the door-arches. Several upgrades date back to 700s, as well as the stuccoes in noble floor and the wrought-iron gate (1742). The british garden still has a romantic atmosphere. The barn dated to the 15th century owns inside two big renaissance chimneys and outside eight arches based on columns with capitals. Villa Roberti today Currently Villa Roberti hosts the garage sale that takes place on the first […]
Villa Soranzo – Crotta – Bragato is located after the bridge from San Nicolò on the way to Corte. This is one of the best owner’s residence in Piove di Sacco: Villa Bragato, surrounded by the boundary wall. The structure is cubic, simple and emphasised by the recent renovation. It was built according to venetian construction: over the years the open hall was probably renovated and a scale of entrance with a lodge joined the building, changing the original guidance and adding an access on the right side, where there used to be the garden. The facade is decorated with a double row of mullioned windows. Those on the noble floor were part of the original plan while the windows upstairs were probably added later, during the construction of the moulded tympanum decorated with an oculus and a written star. The basement, which was one of the most original part of the building, wasn’t occupied by cellars, but by a boatyard that leads to a little canal directly linked to the villa. Inside the Villa The indoor has a tripartite layout and several chimneys – one really big is outside – and some rooms are carefully decorated. In the open […]
Via Co' del Panico 80 Piove di Sacco
Villa Soranzo – Crotta – Bragato
Bosco di via Breo is located South of Piove di Sacco’s city centre, a few hundred meters from Strada Statale n. 516 “Piovese”. Bosco di via Breo is a set of willow trees (Salicetum albae) which occupies most of the area. Nowadays the wood is a shelter for the fauna because even though it is located in an urban area, it has access to a spacious agricultural land, which protects it against large crowd.
Bosco di via Breo Piove di Sacco